Thursday, January 2, 2014

Yummy Treats

One of my most favorite traditions over Christmas Break is making delicious treats with my mom. We usually put together various kinds of cookies, pies, or cakes for the holidays. Sometimes we deliver little baskets of goodies to neighbors or bring them to my parents' work, but most of the time, my brother and I devour them while watching Christmas movies, doing puzzles, or playing board games.

This Christmas and New Years, my mom and I made three types of cookies: Hershey Kisses Blossoms, Thumbprints, and Cut -out Sugar Cookies along with a scrumptious Peppermint Pie, which is an old family favorite. My dad had the pie for dessert every Christmas when he was a boy! Grandma was kind enough to give me the recipe, and ever since, we have been following her tradition.

I tell you, there is something special about the taste of a Christmas cookie that brings a smile to a person's face, no matter what their current mood is. I find that enchanting and wonderful. For a few minutes, a person can experience a little taste of greatness with a cookie, and that is why I absolutely love making them and giving them to others, especially around the holidays.

Hershey Kisses Blossoms- my brother's favorite and mine as well!
The recipe came from my mom's old Hershey cookbook and can be found here.

 
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies. Mom bought new cookie cutters
this year. We were quite happy with them.



Stacked, and freshly baked!

I spent one morning frosting these little delights.
What a fun mess that was!

My favorite shape was the Christmas tree.
The recipe for the cookies and frosting are from Betty Cocker. Can't go wrong there!
 
This Christmas, we decided to try baking a new cookie: Thumbprints. For the center, I used my own homemade jam from this past summer!
They were yummy on their own, but truly tasted fantastic with a glass of milk or hot chocolate.
Find out how to make them here.

 
Crushing candy canes for the pie. Hard work, but so colorful
and they smelled delicious! 
 
 
Our family favorite is definitely Peppermint Pie! This Christmas season, I made it all by myself.
It turned out great; my family loved it!
 
...And now I must go to the gym to whip myself back into shape after tasting all these goodies! (:
 
~Emily
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh so glad to see all these posts today on your beautiful blog. :) I adore knowing what cookies you made and how you talk of everyone's favorites :) I am a cookie monster and love making butter balls...well actually i love eating them ;) Such fun shots my dear, i bet you are so loving your new cam!

    Maddy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can share bits and pieces of my life with you from afar! And yum... Butter Balls! Its a miracle if cookies actually come out of the oven for my family... Everyone eats he dough, hehe! I am absolutely loving my new camera. Starting tomorrow I will be taking a photography class at school. I am very excited (: Hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday!

      Delete